Cleaning Your Crystals
Determine your stone's Hardness Value from the Mohs' Hardness Scale below.** Hardness is the stone's ability to resist external stresses, such as scratching. For our purposes, minerals with a Hardness Value of 7 or above can be considered a Hard gemrock. Values under 7 should be treated as Soft minerals.
HARD METHOD: For quartz clusters (clear, smoky, rose, citrine, amethyst) and other HARD gemrocks: Soak your cluster, geode or polished piece in warm, soapy water as long as it takes to loosen trapped dirt. If appropriate, use a very soft toothbrush to gently brush the dust out of nooks and crannies, carefully avoiding those areas with very fine, tiny crystals that could easily break off with a brush or bump. Rinse with another soak; or, in some instances, it is okay to use a very light-pressured water faucet spray. Use common sense with this! Drip dry or wipe with a clean, soft cloth.
To remove sticky tape, labels, paint markings, ink, etc. from hard gemrocks: Pour or rub a good paint or adhesive remover (such as turpentine or "Goof Off") on the affected area only. Apply directly to exterior matrix rock and/or to actual crystals themselves. If needed, a scratch-free only kitchen scrubber works quite well with these products. Again, this method is to be used on quartz and other equally hard gemrocks ONLY. NEVER use with softer minerals. Refer to list below to determine your stone's hardness value.
SOFT METHOD: For SOFTER stones (malachite, calcites, celestite, fluorite, organics such as amber and other fossils, pearls, copper, etc.): A soft clean cloth may be your best bet for removing fingerprints or markings, and bringing your piece to a warm, glowing sheen. Especially avoid scratchy materials or fingernails - you want to clean your rock or mineral, not damage it!
Corundum (includes sapphire and ruby)
Now that your gemrock's outer surfaces have been cleaned, you may want to turn your attention to the energy field within and without your crystal. Quartz crystals, especially, are great conductors of energy; and although you may not see it, your crystal will come to you carrying energy collected from previous travels. Since many of you prefer to start "from scratch" with a new crystal, the next step is to clear out any lingering prior energies (especially negative vibes!), and begin to immerse it in your own. Remember that your "intention" will be reprogrammed into your crystal, so be sure you are resonating to vibrations you would like your crystal to carry!
Soaks: Soaks are simple, effective ways to start anew with your recently acquired rock, mineral, crystal, or jewelry friends. Simply cover your crystal with water, salt or rice. You may use a soak for hard gemrocks certainly, and soft gemrocks only after careful consideration. Let soak for an indeterminate period of time, remove from solution, and lightly rinse with water if needed.
Natural Light: Leave your items to sparkle in direct, natural light, preferably sunlight if possible. This can be done as a sole clearing method or in conjunction with any soak.
Smudging: Immerse your crystals in the aromatic aura of a burning incense stick or scented cone, sage leaves, etc. (you get the idea). Again, your intention is important here.
Meditation: Sit quietly with your crystals, creating the "thought" environment you wish your crystals to absorb. Above all, do not worry about which method is the "right" one! After working with your wonderfully unique pieces for while, you will begin to intuitively sense how to handle each individual personality. Until then, experiment with all the methods! Or better yet, come up with your own special ritual to totally personalize your gemrock relationships. At this point your crystal adventures will just be beginning, so don't forget to simply sit back, relax and "enjoy the ride!"
1. Passing them through White Sage smoke
2. Placing them for a few seconds under Running Water or Rain Water (For fragile crystals use low pressure water to avoid damage)
3. Leaving them out in the Sunlight & Moonlight for 1-3 days.
The method I recommend you use will depend on what you use your crystal for and how often you use him/her. ;)
***I realize that most people are very busy, and the information below was written in a best case scenario format. However, the cleansing times can be extended to 1 week (and 1 month in instances where I specify 2 weeks or more) in all instances without any adverse side affects. However, For optimal results, the cleansing times listed below can be used. =)
1. For Crystals you carry with you or sleep with: I recommend that you use running water & white sage smoke daily. I also recommend at least 1 full day of Sunlight & Moonlight a week. Crystals used in this way can pick up large amounts of unharmonious energies, and should be cleansed regularly. If you do not have white sage smoke, or do not have time to use it, try to at least place the crystal under running water for about 10-30 seconds, and if you can, place it outside for an hour or two. I would also highly recommend that you place your crystals out in the sunlight & Moonlight for a full 3 days at least once a month. Doing this will ensure thier happiness and keep them powerful and ready to help you.
2. For Crystals used in healing of yourself or another: I recommend at least placing them under running water after the healing session. If you have time, you can use White Sage Smoke as well. This is especially recommended if the healing session was intense or lasted for more than 20 minutes. Crystals used in this way should be placed out in the Sunlight & Moonlight for a full day at least once every 2 weeks. Every week would be best for the crystal if you have time. I would also highly recommend that you place your crystals out in the sunlight & Moonlight for a full 3 days at least once a month. Doing this will ensure thier happiness and keep them powerful and ready to help you.
3. For Crystals used in meditation and held for experimentation: I recommend that you place them under running water after each session with them. Using White Sage smoke at least once a week will ensure your crystals are always clear and ready to help you. These crystals should be placed out in the Sunlight & Moonlight for a full day at least once a month. Every week or two weeks would be best if you have time. I would also highly recommend that you place your crystals out in the sunlight & Moonlight for a full 3 days at least once every 2 months. Doing this will ensure thier happiness and keep them powerful and ready to help you.
In case you don't have White Sage, you can substitute an hour or two of sunlight in it's place. White Sage is a wonderful investment, since it can be used not only on crystals, but also on yourself. Passing White Sage smoke over your body (or smudging as it is commonly known) can relieve stress, clear heavy emotions such as sadness, depression, anger, fear, guilt, etc, and it can be very relaxing and it smells wonderful too!
Oh, and one last thing. When it comes to storing crystals, I have found that natural materials work best. They don't like plastic or closed boxes or anything synthetic. They prefer materials like metal, wood, shells, glass, etc. Also try to keep them in an area where they will get plenty of sunlight & fresh air. It can make all the difference in the world.
So there you have it. Not too hard right? Crystals are very easy to take care of. All they really need to be happy and to keep them at their best is a liitle fresh air, sunlight/moonlight every now & then, to be placed under running water every so often, and of course...LOVE! Crystals thrive on Love. They are used to getting this from Mother Earth in their natural state. However, when they are in our care they need some TLC every now & then to be happy. Giving them Love can be as simple as following the steps I have outlined above & taking a few seconds every now & then to admire their beauty. Be kind to your crystals and they will reward you with a lifetime of love, healing, prosperity, and benefits that you would never have imagined possible!